I'm like a zombie in the morning. It takes me forever to get up and going. By the time I'm ready for breakfast, I've normally only got about 15 minutes until I need to rush off to the train station.
So for the past few months, I've been making this easy and well-balanced smoothie for breakfast to make sure I get something healthy and filling in the morning. I just add what I like to it and try to mix it up a little bit from day to day.
To make sure I don't just have a sugar bomb first thing in the morning, I googled around a bit to find a solid recipe. In this Paleo Leap article, they explain that the key is to make sure you include enough protein and fat while trying to reduce the amount of sugar in your smoothie. I also make sure to try and bulk it out with some dark, leafy greens.
- Dark and Leafy Greens: I typically use organic kale, but you can use spinach, cavolo negro, etc.
- Frozen fruit: Add a small handful of frozen fruit...not too much! The frozen kind keeps your smoothie nice and cold and there's tons of different types in the freezer section. Albert Heijn even recently introduced one with pumpkin, mango, parsnip, and banana.
- Water and/or almond milk: I always add in about a glassful of water so the ingredients mix up well. You can also substitute this for unsweetened almond milk or a combination of both. Almond milk goes really nicely with a banana and berry-based smoothie.
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, advocado, or some kind of nut butter. Get in those macronutrients to avoid the "candy for breakfast" effect and stay full until lunch.
- Protein: The brave among us can add two egg yolks, but I use Alexander Kreuger Elite Protein; created by our dear Crossfit coach, Alex. It's a 100% natural beef-based protein powder with a little bit of natural vanilla flavoring and stevia. Really delicious and adds a nice, smooth texture to my smoothies.
Blend it all up and done! Super delicious and quick breakfast for on the run.
Hope you give this one a try. What are your favorite easy, healthy breakfasts? Let me know in the comments!